Skip to main content

Messi worries Barça

Lionel Messi has revealed he wants to leave Barcelona...to return to Argentina. But Cules do not have to fear as Messi stated he didn't plan on moving until much later in his career.

The Argetinian superstar told Spanish newspaper Ole that he would like to play in his homeland again before he retires. He also promised that he would never move to another European club and will stay with Barcelona for the foreseeable future.

Messi was quoted as saying "In Europe I want to play at Barcelona. I would stay here forever, the longer the better because I feel very comfortable and loved." The 24 year old was adamant when it came to returning to his native country. "...before I retire I want to play in my country, I am absolutely certain that I want to play in Argentina. It is a dream and I am going to make it come true."

He didn't specify which club he would like to return to, so undoubtly a number of clubs will be interested in signing the three time Ballon d'Or winner. Even towards the end of his career, he would surely still be an asset to any side.

The damage caused to Barcelona from a move such as this is up for debate though. If Barça are still as dependant on him as they are now when he decides to go, then it will be a huge loss for the Catalans. But if Barça's youth squad have kept up their record of creating world beaters then maybe a player even better then Messi will be among the ranks.

In the interview Messi went on to add that during the recent presentation in Zurich he became a little bit star struck after being handed the award from Brazil legend Ronaldo. "“I was overjoyed to meet him. I was transfixed watching his goals on the screen that was on the stage, amazing, he was an amazing forward and also a great guy, always with a smile on his face, it is an honour to receive the prize from him. Another dream come true, because as a kid I admired him, he was a brilliant goalscorer.”

Messi has been at Barcelona for nine years now after joining from Newell's Old Boys academy at the age of 13. Another nine years would see him reach 33, the current age of club captain Carles Puyol, and Barça fans will hope to still see him in that famous blue and red shirt.

Comments